This weekend I found myself roaming in the Holy Land of bakeware at Le Gourmet Chef. After a solid hour of "ooo-ing" and "ahh-ing" (in addition to every salesperson asking if I needed help), I bought my first donut pan. As a health conscious individual, I have been searching for the "healthy way" of making these treats! While the actual recipe is not entirely figure friendly, a baked donut surely let's you cut at least one corner...and a few grams of fat from your diet. Enjoy!
Vegan Baked Donuts
Makes 6 regular sized donutsDry Ingredients:
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg
1 tiny pinch or shake Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Soymilk
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Egg Replacer for 1 Egg
4 Tbs Earth Balance
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease donut pan VERY WELL!
1) Combine the wet ingredients in a small saucepan.
2) Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
3) Stir the wet ingredients over low heat just until warm to the touch- NOT hot!
4) Incorporate wet to the dry mixture and stir just until combined.
5) Fill the wells just under the rim of the pan- do NOT overfill.
6) Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
7) Allow the donuts to cool for about 10 minutes, then invert the pan to cool completely.
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs Earth Balance (or other vegan non-dairy butter)
1 Tbs non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1) In a small bowl, microwave the Earth Balance and milk for 10 seconds, just until melted.
2) Add the vanilla and powdered sugar, and stir until smooth.
3) Drip, drizzle or dunk your cooled donuts. Decorate with sprinkles if you got 'em!
Raspberry Glaze: Add 1/4 tsp raspberry extract and 1/4 tsp raspberry preserves.
(Donut recipe credit: Vegan Yum Yum)